Hurricanes can threaten life and property with hazards such as flooding, storm surge, high winds and tornadoes. Are you Prepared?
MAKE A PLAN
- Pack an emergency bag including 3-5 days of food, water, and supplies. Store in a safe, easily accessible area in your home.
- Plan your evacuation route in advance and fill your gas tank up ahead of time. Not everywhere is wheelchair accessible – Keep a portable ramp in your car. Know the dimensions of your power chair in case you need emergency transport.
- Register with your local special needs registry. The special needs registry helps your city know who might need extra help during an emergency.
- Follow your local emergency preparedness channel. Sign up for your local emergency alerts through text or email to stay connected.
- Determine if you should shelter in place or evacuate. Choose a place to evacuate in advance and make note of what supplies will be available to you.
SPECIAL MEDICAL NEEDS?
Talk to Your Doctor: and make an emergency plan. Make sure your medications are up to date and fill your prescriptions in advance.
Get on the Power Priority List: Ask your power provider to put you on a list for priority power restoration.
Medical Records: Back up medical records, insurance cards, and medicine dosages on a computer or phone. Print out a copy to have on hand as well.
Emergency Numbers: Save numbers for your medical team and local emergency services on your phone.
Other Helpful Links